Google

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Metalica Review

I was listening to Metalica today and I heard one of their classics. The song was great. I then started to think a bit more in depth about the group. Every time I hear Metalica on the radio, I turn up the radio. Their music is great as long as it is prior to Garage, Inc.

The band just went down hill in a hurry after that. What were they doing wrong? I wouldn't be a critic if I didn't have an answer. Wait a minute, I probably shouldn't consider myself a critic. I only complain about stuff to you.

The problem with Metalica is that they had some strengths and weaknesses and they went against them. For instance, Lars Ulrich he is not a great singer, but he has a good sound that fits they type of music. So what does he try to do? He tries to become Pavarotti and emphasizes every note. He sounds like a moron when he sings.

Another thing they do wrong is try to play like a garage band. Why? They are great guitarists, why would they try to sound like crap. I guess they don't get that their strength is in their unique ability to have a clean smooth electric sound and they mix it with acoustic guitar in their best songs.

I guess this just shows that to continue to be great you should downplay your weaknesses a bring your strengths to the fore front of you game. Lars should really downplay his singing. By the way Metalica is one of my favorite bands. Please, don't rag on this post because I pointed out some negative aspects to their music. Maybe they'll read this and put out another great album using this advice.

2 comments:

Elvia said...

This is coming from someone that was a huge Metallica fan. I saw them in concert when i was younger and had all of their albums prior to Garage Inc.

The lead vocalist isn't Lars, It's James Hetfield!! Lars is the founder of the band and the drummer. James is lead singer and guitar, Kirk is guitar, and whoever replaced James (James replaced Cliff) is bass and backup singer.

I think they lack the old school classic metal style they used to have. Probably due to the loss of the older members and them trying to become mainstream.

Singers all emphasis words. It's called singing! You're trying to single one singer out when they all do the same thing. Hetfield has a gread voice. He just needs to go back to his roots.

&& To live is to die, one of their best instrumentals!

Unknown said...

Oops, I got the two confused. It doesn't change the fact that James Hetfield over does it, you even agree that they need to go back to their roots. I mean really how much Metalica do you really listen to post Garage, Inc.