Google

Friday, April 4, 2008

World Combat League by Chuck Norris

Well, I saw the St. Louis team get knocked out of the playoffs at hom. The event was much better than I would have thought. I have been to a lot of make shift MMA events ad the production of this event was undoubtedly professional. Again, I was impressed.

I personally don't think this will be the next big martial arts sport. It is designed for activity. The rules in this league eliminate all the things that are seen as boring in a fight. For instance if you clinch without throwing a knee you are penalized a point and you can only throw one knee while in the clench. You also can't back away in an attempt to delay. We'll put it this way it is designed for non-stop action. It is basically fighting commercialized for the mass market.

Everything is designed to promote action. It is also, designed in a manner that allows fighters to fight weekly. The damage is minimized to the fighters by having the fighter fight in halves. If the fighters don't do well they can be taken out, and another fighter is brought in. This is obviously means we are dealing with a team approach. I see the benefits but to me it doesn't deserve the attention.

Fighters should fight independently of a team. It is a sport designed around endurance. I really don't think that true fight fans will support this long enough for it to become something realy special like the UFC. It is pretty entertaining even I will admit it.

No comments: